I'm on a quest to build my food storage into a 1 year supply with foods that I know my family will eat. I've decided to keep a blog with recipes that I know my family will love and using only pantry or food storage items, and maybe in the interim this might help someone else who is also working on obtaining a 1 year supply with foods that not only your family can survive on but they will also love eating. If anyone has any recipes that they would like to add please email me at basicfoodstorage@gmail.com

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Dave's Killer Whole Wheat Bread Recipe


I recently made a trip to our favorite grocery store Winco and came across this bread that looked so delicious!  Today we made vegetarian sandwiches and it's exactly what I have been looking for in a bread for so many years.  A true whole wheat bread, but not bitter or tough.  Soft with lots of nutty texture and it's vegan!  Our whole family is completely hooked.  But with each loaf costing $4.00, I thought there has to be something out there in google world that could help me come up with something similar to make at home. Just recently I have been using some recipes from everdaydish.tv and have found most of them to be super tasty, and then today I found this Dave's Killer Bread Recipe.  Although I don't usually post recipes on my site until I have tested them in my own home, on my own family, I figured that this one was one that I definitely wanted to post, as I will be trying it out tomorrow, and I'll be sure to post an update of the outcome.  If this turns out to taste like the bread we just bought, then my searching for the best bread recipe is officially over.  To be continued......

For now here is the recipe, as posted on Everday Dish.

DAVE’S KILLER 100% WHOLE WHEAT BREAD


This is an awesome loaf of bread! If you’re looking for a whole grain, soft sandwich bread with a wonderful, sweet nutty flavor, this is your bread!

Note: This recipe is best made with a heavy-duty stand mixer.


Sponge
3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (14 1/4 ounces/403 grams)
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp instant yeast
2 1/4 cups water
1 1/2 tbsp molasses
1 tbsp canola oil

Dough
3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour (14 1/4 ounces/403 grams)
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten (30 grams)
2 tsp salt

1. Sponge In bowl of stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine 3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour, sugar and yeast, mixing until combined. Add the water, molasses and oil to the flour, mixing until incorporated. Beat dough for 5 minutes on low. Cover bowl and set aside for one hour.

2. Dough: Add the remaining flour, gluten, salt to the sponge, beating until well mixed. If dough is too dry, you can add another tablespoon or two of water. Using the dough hook, if possible, beat the dough on medium high speed for 10 to 15 minutes, until a window pane develops (see video). You should have a nice, smooth dough.

3. Cut the dough into two equal pieces, cover with a slightly damp towel and set it aside to let it rest for 15 minutes. Roll dough into a smooth log, making sure to get the air out. Repeat with remaining dough. Place shaped dough into greased pans and let proof until it begins to peak over the pan. Preheat oven to 350°F while bread is rising.

4. Let rise in pans about 1 hour, or until the dough has risen enough to really fill up the pan, and has crested over the top. Bake loaves in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until an instant-read thermometer reads 190°F.


No comments:

Food Storage Menu Planning Powerpoint