I'm on a quest to build my food storage into a 1 year supply with foods that I know my family will eat. I've decided to keep a blog with recipes that I know my family will love and using only pantry or food storage items, and maybe in the interim this might help someone else who is also working on obtaining a 1 year supply with foods that not only your family can survive on but they will also love eating. If anyone has any recipes that they would like to add please email me at basicfoodstorage@gmail.com

Friday, March 27, 2009

Bread for a year

Bread for a Year

If you only had one food to eat-bread-do you have enough to make a loaf of bread every day to live on in your food storage? Wendy DeWitt figured it all out and here it is:

2C white wheat (3C Flour),

1C water,

1 1/2 tsp salt,

2TB melted shortening,

One of the following: ¼ C Applesauce, ¼ C sugar, or ¼ C honey

2tsp yeast.

Warm the water and add yeast. Set aside. Mix flour, salt and sugar. Add the yeast water, melted shortening and knead until smooth and elastic. Shape into loaf, place in greased pan, cover and let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

Total supplies needed for one year:

61 #10 cans of white wheat

23 gallons of water

4 2/3 containers of salt

19 pounds of shortening

45 pounds of sugar

5 pounds of yeast

No comments:

Food Storage Menu Planning Powerpoint